Friday, June 25, 2010

...and 8 Miles on a Saturday Morning Is Better than Sleeping In

No, really!

My running partners got to hear me burst into song on Boise's Greenbelt Saturday morning. Maybe it was that runner's high I keep hearing about...Nah, probably not. I think it had more to do with the company I had, the sun being out, and knowing that every step has meaning in it.

I wanted to share this:

Every 4 minutes one person is diagnosed with a blood cancer.

Leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma will cause the deaths of an estimated 53,240 people in the United States this year.

Every ten minutes, someone dies from a blood cancer. This statistic represents nearly 146 people each day, or more than six people every hour. Leukemia causes more deaths than any other cancer among children and young adults under the age of 20.

In general, the likelihood of dying from most types of leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma decreased from 1996 to 2005 (the most recent data available).

*Facts and statistics from Leukemia, Lymphoma, Myeloma Facts 2009-2010, June 2009.


I like knowing that the time I spend hoofing around Boise with these amazing people means every year less people die from blood cancer. The shin splints, arch problems, leg cramps and blood sugar issues are pretty minor compared to the reason why we're all out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment